Sunday, May 25, 2014

Beetroot salad

I am a fledgling balcony kitchen gardener. Recently, my basil has been flourishing, and my little balcony has the oh-so-refreshing fragrance of basil every time a gentle breeze blows. I even gifted a pot to M... Keep growing, dear basil!

So, I have been looking for new recipes to include basil in.

Now beetroot was one of those vegetables that somehow was prepared in just one on two ways at home- both dry Malayali preparations. One was beetroot thoren, which is with coconut and the other was the tongue twister mezhukupuratti, which is almost the same as the north Indian sabzi with different spices. I had never made any non-Indian dish with beetroot. Part of the reason was that I hate the boiled beetroot salad one generally finds in these buffets. No taste.

And here I was stucl with some beetroot in the fridge, and no Indian meals on the horizon since my cook was on leave and I usually don't cook the laborious Indian dishes. Was searching the net for an easy beetroot and basil salad to go with my Rice Casserole and got inspired by the Triple beetroot salad. So here is my version of it.


Ingredients
1. Beetroot
2. Basil leaves
For dressing
3. Olive oil
4. Balsamic vinegar
5. Salt
6. Pepper

Method
1. Pressure cook full beetroot with the skin on for two whistles or boil it till a knife inserted does not face crunchy resistance. The water and knife will be stained fuschia... Oh so pretty
2. Dunk the boiled beetroot into ice cold water. This stops the beetroot from over cooking.
3. Peel off the skin and chop the beets into half inch cubes
4. Toss with basil leaves and the dressing.




Enjoy!






posted from Bloggeroid


1 comment: